Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Cover Judging 101




Well, well, well, what do we have here? A thesis project! Or at least half of one. The other part of my thesis project will be coming soon (the film). I wanted to take a crack at redesigning the covers to some of the books in my book collection, Dracula, Frankenstein, Treasure Island & Spartacus. My design concept was to have a wrap-around image that can stand alone as a piece of artwork, but also act as a suitable book cover. I tried to keep compositional aspects as consistent as possible, being: placement, colour, aesthetic, type, etc. I basically tried to stick to an underlining framework based on the typography and graphic elements that I would eventually have to overlay. It was a great chance to learn how to stay consistent, but also show variety.

I will be displaying two of the final paintings for this series at the Sheridan Illustration Grad Show on April 23-24, at the FC Burroughs Building in Toronto. Drop by if you can to see the accumulation of four years of artistic progress.

No comments: