Monday, November 17, 2008

The Screaming Silence


Another Narrative project? Really Greg? What's going on? Yeah, well here's our latest project. We were supposed to recollect a powerful memory and depict it within nine to ten panels. I was at the National Gallery recently and had a little bout with boredom. I was lost, confused, frustrated until I stumbled across one painting that really caught my eye and hasn't let go. Very rarely in my life do I have moments when all my senses seem to collectively stop. The only experience I can relate it to is when you hear something so loud, that at one point the loudness just sounds silent. Or when you hold your hand under boiling hot water for so long, that it begins to feel cold. I had a very strong emotional response. I am not sure how much time passed before I moved on. The painting was Monet's Waterloo Bridge. In the comic above I tried to show the range of my emotions, beginning with flat boredom and low colour contrast. The second page is a gradual transition into the extreme emotion that overcame me.
P.S. On the topic of inspiration, I thought this web site was really cool. I stumbled across it when researching the psychology of colour. Check it out.

No comments: