Friday, November 21, 2008

The Answer & Answers

Allen Iverson
Mixed Media on Paper
18" x 14"
It has been a very interesting week in the Sheridan World. I would compare it to a small asteroid shower. No matter what class I am a part of, they all seem to be in minor chaos, colliding and having me duck and cover. Well I'm still here, so I suppose I am weathering the storm fairly successfully. The piece above is the latest addition to my thesis project: celebrity portraits based on current events. In the sports world, All Star NBA guard Allen Iverson was traded from the Denver Nuggets to the powerhouse Detroit Pistons. I was dumbfounded to find out that the city of Detroit does not have a significant amount of memorable landmark; therefore, I tried to emphasize the seedy Detroit atmosphere. If you have ever been to Detroit, you will understand. I enjoyed working with the different media. I need to try harder to make a captivating image. Something that really grabs your attention. That is my goal for my next portrait.
We had an amazing lecture this week from the very talented and inspiring Joe Shouldice. He is a graphic designer/creative Juggernaut/all around nice guy currently working for Sagmeister Studio in New York. Their work is head and shoulders above any design studio I have ever seen. His lecture was the most influential I have attended in my entire College career. His work ethic is incredible and his personality shows through his work (pennies & bananas). You really have to look at the scale of his work and the creative way he chooses to communicate. I can sum up his work by saying "the sky's the limit". No word of a lie.