Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Youth Demographic



Recently in Narrative class we were asked to interpret a piece of mythology or folklore. I took this opportunity to dive into some native Thunder Bay folklore. Using three, two page spreads I depicted the legend of Ouimet Canyon, which is an ancient Ojibway folktale. The tale is about a giant who accidentally kills his love. He tries to cover up the accident, but in the end he is discovered and turned to stone to watch over his loves grave for all eternity (actual photo). It's a story about taking responsibility for your actions. I find this style of working is very different from my usual aesthetic. I felt inclined to attempt children's illustration because I haven't given it a shot before. In the future I would like to do a more "R" Rated version of this story. I'm beginning to feel that my illustrations target an older and more mature audience.

2 comments:

Nimit Malavia said...

Nanabijou is cold bloooded!
This is awesome Greg, i'd love to see an adult version of this bad boy
...get some solid brooding in there

Nicely done!

Anonymous said...

I really really like this. I think the reasons why are mostly apparent.
-Jennesia