Friday, January 18, 2008

Heard The World

Life Drawing Diptych

20 Minute Pose
Acrylic and Gesso on Illustration Board
10" x 16"


20 Minute Pose
Acrylic and Gesso on Illustration Board
9" x 19"

It's been a while. A couple of weeks anyways. One of the major reasons that I keep this blog is to try and stay consistent. Always work on different things to capture my interest and bolster my creativity. Recently I have been thinking about "style" and how my work stands out from the rest. I'm not too concerned about diving into anything. I was just thinking that my style should be based on what I like to draw and paint. Slowly but surely I am stepping away from my comfort in the fine arts, and moving towards the more spirited realm of Illustration. I think that my artwork needs a little vulnerability right now. Sounds odd to say, but I believe that something new needs to start for me. In Life Drawing this week I was feeling really bored. Maybe it was a lack of inspiration, or a lack of criticism/instruction? I really don't know. I started to doodle and incorporate random designs and colours into the negative spaces. Once that happened I went back into the figures and began to work into them. For two pieces of scrap illustration board, I think they look pretty fun. Well the model was quite serious. He had the physique and demeanor of an ex-Navy Seal. I really like that colour palette too. It's always enlightening to have moments working when you say to yourself, "this could be really good." Most of the time the drawings just turn out as nothing outstanding. One drawing out of a hundred can really turn you around and get you into that creative groove again.

2 comments:

Nimit Malavia said...

this painting makes me want an Arizona soo bad for some reason....frightening!

theres so much exploration in style media and method in your life painting, its inspiring. serious dude keep doing what your doing, its looking sick!

Yuta Onoda said...

the decorative elements on this painting work really nice and loose. definitely has a flow to it!!
its beautifully done the fact that its done in a short period of the time!!