Saturday, August 8, 2009

Pop Culture Circa 1970-1990

In the recent weeks I have been watching a lot of the AMC's Mad Men. It's a great drama about a Manhattan based advertising agency in the 1960's. Written and directed by the same people who did The Sopranos. A few weeks ago I was at the office and I stumbled upon an old box of News Week and TIME magazines . . . from the 70's and 80's. Little to say the ads and illustrations reminded me a lot of the ads and artwork I saw on Mad Men. The magazines were so saturated with ads for cigarettes, alcohols, cameras, cars and hotels. The high life. Ideals have changed since then; however, I was excited to see the pop-culture of the time. I scanned in some of my favourites. Check these out.

Jesus with his game face on

Peter Yuill look alike?

Who needs Captain Morgan when you have this guy

Read the captions and enjoy :)

Possibly the greatest knit sweater I have ever seen in my life (bottom right)

Bell Canada keepin' it real

Bell Canada again

Glad to see that ABSOLUT has been putting out great ads since before I was born

And my favourite Canadian product . . . Molson

No comments: