Monday, August 24, 2009

Building Windows and Doors


At long last I can post the album artwork I have been working on for my good friend Jean-Paul De Roover. We began this project in late May. It was quite intensive. I really enjoyed the process of listening to the music, developing ideas and having my ideas be heard and critiqued. It was very liberating. I was also very proud of this project because I used next to no reference material.

The first spread is the front which shows a house taking on a life of its own. The second spread is the inside where the house represents two characters. We were trying to show the dichotomy between whether an individual should choose to use the door (the practical solution) or the window (the creative solution). There's a lot of underlying meaning in the artwork. I won't get into it right now.

The layout looks a bit weird to anyone who has not seen the physical product. The protruding top panels fold down into the 3-panel digipack. The digipack contains a full feature copy of the CD "Windows and Doors" and also a DVD package that includes music videos, photo gallery and behind the scenes footage. It is quite a unique and ambitious project to be orchestrated by one man -- Jean-Paul De Roover. Did I mention that the package has die-cuts and when folded properly forms a 3-dimensional house! Coooooolllll!!!

The release party will be on September 12th at Definitely Superior Art Gallery, in Thunder Bay. Unfortunately I will not be able to attend due to my studies. It's sure to be a great night.

3 comments:

Nimit Malavia said...

DUDE this is sooooo bomb!! I can't even believe how sick this looks, and a really beautiful synthesis of concept and design.

I think I might actually have to pick one up to see this bad boy in 3D! Amazing dude!

Carlie Russelle said...

GREG these look AMAZING! wonderful work sir

Pella windows said...

Good post, indeed the gaming industry is growing at an exponential growth rate and everyday its new level is coming. Once again a very inspiring and informative post.