Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Let's Fire It Up!

The Friendly Beast
11.5" x 14.5"
Acrylic on Stonehenge
I must admit that my venture back to Thunder Bay began somewhat rough. I didn't even have the internet today! I was going crazy! . . . but . . . things are beginning to turn around for me a little bit. I have a couple interviews this week, I ordered a new Mac book Pro and most importantly, I started to paint again! It's incredible what I can accomplish without being tempted by the digital sweet tooth that I call Photoshop. It's been a while since I've actually been able to sit down and paint. I have no idea what I'm painting, but I'm really doing it. I'm really doing it!

The painting above is a mix of things still in progress. I've been thinking about the roles of archetypal characters and scribbled some out on paper the other day. This creature is known as the friendly beast. Every story has one. He's the one that starts out as a thorn in your side, but moves up into a place in your heart. I wanted to get across the contradictory nature of a wild beast conflicted with a main of blossoming flowers -- chrysanthemums to be specific. I'd like to create more pieces based on the idea of conflict and dichotomous subject matter. Dark vs. Light. Good vs. Evil. Butter vs. Margarine, etc. Right now I'm happy that I'm painting again. I need to build up that portfolio!

1 comment:

Nimit Malavia said...

is that gold ink???
he really IS doing it!!

This piece looks pretty killer buddy, a nice exploration of the concept and style!

Keep it up bro...use Butter!! Margarine is for quitters