Thursday, October 16, 2008

MUD!


Rough Sketch with ballpoint pen


Rendered Drawing
Blue Pencil on RIVES BFK
12" x 8"


Acrylic Painted over the rendered drawing


Digital Manipulation #1, 400 dpi.


Final, 450 dpi.

So I am going to give you an example of exactly what I am trying to avoid at all costs. Mud. This final piece is mud. Mud is overworked artwork. I'm not usually a culprit of creating such bad decisions. The deadline got in the way and I also wanted to explore the same techniques I used in my last portrait of Travis Barker. Well . . . I didn't realize what mistakes I had made until I was finished. When the prints arrived I threw up a little in my mouth . . . and it's all my fault!

Okay, so I guess I should lay down some ideology behind this piece. This is Brett Favre, current quarterback for the New York Jets. This portrait is about his re-emergence. His old school style of play and leadership has greatly influenced his young team (who were terrible last season). Huge turn around this year because of their new fearless leader. I wanted Brett to look like a General over his troops in the trenches and at the same time a quarterback over his offensive line during a game.

I added an environment and other characters in this piece. I don't think I will do this again. There is too much competition in the image and I lose focus on the portraiture itself. I totally got called out on it in critiques too. It's understandable, I'm not even angry. Just frustrated because I thought I was past this stage. Oh well, time to pick myself up and head back to the huddle (little football reference there).

No comments: