Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Unnecessary Violence


Unnecessary Violence
Watercolour on Watercolour Paper
16" x 15"
Last Interpretive Illustration project of the year: one week to make a portfolio piece of anything you want. I was very happy to hear this. I think I have turned a corner dealing with subject matter thanks to this project. I have been very process oriented this year and along the way lost the fluidity of drawing and painting. Recently I was overwhelmed by the exposure to violence everywhere I looked. What perfect timing to reflect upon this inspiration. My goal was to make these soldiers look as stupid as possible, while keeping believability and the integrity of my work. . . . . so I replaced their rifles with big fat Rainbow Trout! It was fun to be free again with subject and media. Someone pointed out that the shadows need some work. I agree. I was just too excited to notice. Com'mon people . . . Rainbow Trout!

4 comments:

Nimit Malavia said...

Beautiful job! looks like all your bravado with inks is paying off...this piece is boss my friend! And may I say good call on the rainbow trout...
next week---we celebrate with sushi!!!

Irma said...

This somehow reminds me of your marching band, even though they're stylistically completely different.

Maybe this is where Greg Dubeau is going in the future? hmmm?

*insert wasabi-yoda*

Unknown said...

Wow Greg these moves, impeccable. Gives me a chuckle every time i see it.

Anonymous said...

wow. love this. haha/