Saturday, September 15, 2007

The Little Mermaid

School is in full force and my roommates and myself have decided to live without television for this school year. Our productivity has shot through the roof. We are all currently beginning an artist collective project, refinishing and painting a guitar, and just staying creative. A few nights ago I found myself to be alone and without and plans so I decided to experiment a little bit with some media. I had no idea what kind of subject matter to deal with, so I began doing random things like gluing a piece of cartridge paper to canvas, light washes of watercolour on canvas, then I just started throwing watercolours and gesso everywhere. The toned canvas looked great. Once again gesso has proved to be my go-to guy. I looked at the abstract and negative shapes in the colours and saw different fish-like characters. If you look closely there are fish, seahorse, octopus, clams, shells, mermaids, and coral. Oh, and a mondo-gigantic manta ray! The space left in the middle needed to be filled so I thought I would take a page out of Tessar's book, and use some good ol' graphite. The picture is my sister, so I called it "The Little Mermaid" (8" x 16"). Final touch ups were done in photoshop. I am starting to like this no-tv thing.

2 comments:

Carlie Russelle said...

This is lovely Greg. A suitable christmas gift for your little sister, perhaps?

Greg Dubeau said...

Carlie, you're my favourite. I already told her that I would give it to her, I should have thought this through better!