Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Illustration, Round 3

I have been asking for it all summer and it is finally here. I can't help but feel bad because I was having such a killer time in the Bay before I left. The summer was good me in many ways, and nothing extremely terrible happened. I have been confused a little thinking about what this year holds. I understood what the previous two years have meant in my progression, but this year seems to be mysterious. I am looking forward to jumping in and starting projects right away and meeting new people. I started a painting two months ago, but only recently have finished it. It's called "The Door to te Shore", a 24" x 38" painting of a photograph I took while at home. It was hard finding the time and inspiration to actually paint and think of new ways of achieveing certain textures. My mom really wanted me to finish this before I left, so I pulled up the socks and got to work. I'm not totally satisfied with the final piece. I wouldn't try to do another long term painting again. I am satisfied with the mood of the painting. When I look at it I feel damp, standing in between rain falls. I'm glad that I chose to paint big this summer. Right now I feel like I should scale down and work on more personal things rather than detailed subject matter. Lots of ideas, I just need the time and ambition to man up.

3 comments:

Carlie Russelle said...

this is really pretty, Greg.
Somehow you have managed to make that somewhat random door fit in the environment. Bravo!

Yuta Onoda said...

nice painting you got here!!i love how colours are settled in this piece. it totally matches with the environment!!nice work!!

Greg Dubeau said...

Thanks guys! I chose this to paint because I thought it would be challenging to replicate the mood and atmosphere.